Blogs and Instagrams I like to follow

Monday, December 21, 2015

No Solo Solstice


Started the solstice weekend by riding out part of the frosty bottom route.  After getting some lunch at my favorite Fire Island Bakery in Airport Heights I rode out to meet Laura and Shannon.  Currently I've installed my HED Big Deal wheelset with my Robin Dilley hand selected Dillinger 4 tires.  I'm preparing for the Frosty Bottom which is basically a "road race" on the multi-use trails in Anchorage.  At 42-44 miles and solid conditions it is a very fast race that rewards low rotating mass.  I've been ridding larger Dillinger 5's and Specialized Ground Control's that The Bicycle Shop supplied me with as heavier training tire and wheel set up.




We found winter!!  It's in Willow!!  Saturday TLF and I left at the break of dawn (10-ish AM.) Eric, Laura, Adam, Angie and I had a great ride.  We rode from Long Lake via Crystal and Vern Lakes to the Willow Swamp.  Then we headed down Rolly Lakes Trail to Nancy Lake Parkway and back via West Long Lake Road.   Adam and Angie are great hosts and shared their amazing High Bush Cranberry moonshine and pickled pike with us!  If you get a chance the Willow area trails are amazing and there is always a chance you get to see some doggies!!


Finally, to wrap up a great weekend Nic invited folks to join him on a frosty bottom "extreme" pre-ride. Laura and I didn't want to get up early or ride to the chalet so instead we met up with Nicholas, Oscar, Fred, Chris and Ryan and headed up hillside. We rode up the Hillside Single Track Advocates trails and then up South Fork Rim trail to Glen Alps. From there we went down Middle Fork to Lost Cabin and back home. It was a great climb and I'm even tired just typing about it!

Happy Solstice and Happy Holidays everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment