Blogs and Instagrams I like to follow

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Yentna Burger and Earthquakes

We ventured back north for winter again.  This time Laura, Ryan, Danielle and I rode up the Yentna River to Yentna Station Roadhouse and had lunch then rode back to the Willow.  It started snowing fairly heavy and I decided that walking all day Sunday didn't sound like fun so we headed back instead of heading up river to Skwentna Roadhouse. Judging by T.K.K.'s photo's and ride reports we would have been ok heading up river.  Oh well!

http://www.yentnastation.com/


Scary Tree intersection photo courtesy of Ryan Greeff

Dog Bootie photo courtesy of Ryan Greeff

Rolling deep with Laura Fox and Danielle Dalton.  Photo courtesy of Ryan Handlebar Greeff

Heavy bike


We stayed at a friends house that night because I wussed out and didn't want to camp.  Adam Shilman and Angie Glover are amazing hosts and have always bailed us out when we are up north and need a warm place to sleep, a couple of beers and feed us in the morning.  Their hospitality and friendship are crucial to Laura's and my success and I'm glad to call them friends.  Thanks you two.

Laura woke me up during the earthquake that happened that night.  I just about slept through the whole thing!  What a shaker!!  

We got up the next morning and had some breakfast and coffee at the Shilman Quest Lodge then headed back out.  We headed down south this time shooting for East Redshirt Lake Trail, Cow Lake then back up the Big Swamp up to the Rolly Creek Cutoff and back onto the Big Su to Deshka Landing.  I suggest riding the East Redshirt Lake Trail.  It's one of the best trails in the Susitna Valley that I've ridden to date.  Be aware, it's got some honest ascents and descents mixed in.
  
Sunday morning stroll

You know what this is.  Every lake and water body we crossed was cracked from the earthquake.

Flamingo Island, AK

Lunch and free bonfire at Cow Lake!
Titanium cookware is how we roll.  I also got to try out my new Feathered Friends Hooded Helios jacket that I got as a gift.  It works great and is more than warm enough for mid 20 degree camp lounging.

Rolly Creek Trail.  It was in great shape!
Rolly Creek Sunset.  This is the trail that the Susitna 100 was going to take last year but changed due to open leads at the confluence.

We headed back home to assess the damage to our homes from the earthquake.  Laura and I were glad to find that it wasn't too bad at either home.  I ended up having a bottle of laundry detergeant fall and break open but my house sitter/friend/dog sitter Erin cleaned it up.  Till next time folks!


No comments:

Post a Comment